The Adoptive Parent Process
Before becoming qualified to adopt through an agency in Oklahoma, adoptive parents have to complete a lengthy screening process. This process makes sure they have the resources and abilities to provide a loving and supportive home for a child. However, every adoption agency uses their own set of criteria to screen parents. Some are more demanding than others. Make sure you know what your provider’s criteria are up front so you can be sure they’re screening parents properly.
At Deaconess Pregnancy & Adoption, the screening process for adoptive parents includes:
- A thorough home study that assesses the adoptive family’s home life and environment. These studies are performed by qualified social workers and include interviews of both prospective parents and other family members. In addition, a home safety evaluation is also completed.
- Required training that covers all aspects of the adoption process, parenting, and child development. It also features panels of birth parents, adoptive families, and adoptees who can provide first-hand perspectives on the adoption process.
- Full criminal background checks that screen out any potential candidates who may not be suitable adoptive parents. FBI, OSBI, Sexual Offender Registry, and Child Abuse Registry checks are all included in this search.
- Medical evaluations that ensure families are in good physical health and are capable of raising a child without health concerns.
- References from family members, friends, mental health professionals, and religious or spiritual leaders in the family’s life are received. These give an outside assessment of the family’s suitability for being adoptive parents.
How to Choose a Family
When deciding if an adoptive family is the right choice, there are a few questions you can ask yourself to make the decision easier:
- What values are important to me? For instance, some think that a traditional two-parent household is extremely important. Meanwhile, others are more concerned about financial security or the parents’ education or jobs.
- What lifestyle do I want my child to have? You can choose between families where one parent stays at home or families where both parents work. Other lifestyle qualities like a family who loves to travel or has a large or small extended family will be available to see in the adoptive parent profiles.
- Do I want my child to have siblings already in the home? You will be able to choose from different family make-ups, from those without children to others who already have multiple children.
- How open do I want the adoption to be? Some expectant parents want a lot of contact with the adoptive family. Others do not want a lot of contact. Additionally, you can also decide if you have a preference about whether they live in Oklahoma or another state. You have the power to choose what you want that relationship to look like.
Our Adoption Specialists will help you think through these questions and more. We want to help you process what is important in selecting a family for your baby. You can also look at our waiting families to see some of the information on our families today. Some expectant parents find the perfect adoptive family quickly, while others take time to think through what they’re looking for and find the right match. The most important thing is that you’re comfortable with the decision you’re making for yourself and your child.
Once you have decided on a family you like, you will have the chance to meet them. We want to make sure you feel comfortable with your choice. These visits, called “match meetings,” will take place in a neutral location like our office, a restaurant, or public park – wherever is comfortable for you. Additionally, our staff will be there with you through the whole visit and help lead the conversation to answer your questions. After that meeting, we will visit with you to hear your feedback and make sure you feel comfortable with the adoptive family. If you feel good about the family, you are matched and can move forward in the adoption process, focusing on your needs and growing the type of relationship you desire with the family you’ve selected.
Contact Us Today
If you would like to know more about the process of adoption in Oklahoma, contact us today at Deaconess Pregnancy & Adoption. As Oklahoma’s oldest adoption agency, we have the experience you can trust to take care of you and your child throughout the adoption process and for life. Call 405-949-4200 or text us at 405-397-3140 today to make an appointment or visit our Facebook or Instagram pages for more helpful guidance and information.